We’re officially well into the month of December now, and that means the countdown to Christmas is at a mere 14 days away. Normally by this time, I’ve already trimmed my tree, finished my shopping and sent my packages on their merry way, but not this year. I don’t know what it is about 2017 (or maybe I do), but this time of year has been unusually busy and stressful.
All that is to say, I’m just now getting around to the Christmas projects I had planned. First up are these candy-filled surprise balls made to look like festive bunches of holly berries. They’d make a great place setting for Christmas dinner or a fun stocking stuffer for the little ones at your house (pro tip: you can hide a little bottle of booze in there, too, for older recipients).
For this project, you’ll need the following:
• crepe paper, in three colors (I used this and cut it into 2″ strips)
• cardstock, in three colors
• plastic bags
2. Begin wrapping the crepe paper around the candy, turning it as you go. Keep wrapping it like a ball of yarn until you’ve reached the size of a tennis ball. Secure the end with a piece of tape.
3. Repeat until you have three berries for each bunch.
4. Trace the shape of an 8″ holly leaf on a piece of cardstock, then cut it out. Use that leaf as a template, and trace two leaves for each bunch of holly berries.
5. Use tape to secure all the pieces.
The great thing about this project is that you can really put anything you want inside. Besides booze and candy, a pretty necklace or a new pair of earbuds would fit in there quite nicely.