Among me, my siblings and our friends, my mom has a nickname: Mrs. Fun. The lady loves a good party. But don’t get the wrong idea—we’re not talking Real Housewives of San Antonio-style revelry here; picture evenings spent all together, sprawled atop couches, eating ice cream and never wanting for side-splitting conversation.
My mom truly believes Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth, she loves miniature trinkets and every single flower on God’s green earth, so it should come as no surprise to you when I say that there seemed no better way to remind her of my enduring gratitude and unending love than with a colorfully illustrated card. In keeping with my lovely mom’s fondness for all things bright and happy, I opted to pattern my card with a cheery lemon print inspired by this J.Crew top and then scrawled a playful card to match.
There’s something so lovely about sending Mom something handmade, isn’t there? It hearkens back to the Mother’s Days when we proudly brought be-glittered cards home from grade school and they were promptly popped up on the fridge, displayed for all to see. Oh, and it’s also really quick to make just in case you waited until the last minute to get your gift. No judgement here…
1. Address the envelope with colorful markers and playful flourishes, Then, flip the envelope over and use the markers to draw a pretty lemon print on the back.
2. Illustrate a cheery message on the card—I opted for, “When life gave me lemons, you made me lemonade” punctuated with (what else?) a tiny little lemon!
3. Use the envelope as a stencil and trace the shape of it (with the flap up) onto a sheet of decorative paper. Cut out with scissors, then trim about 1/8″ off either side.
4. Apply glue to the back of the envelope liner, the slip it inside the envelope, smooth and let dry.
5. Slap a pretty stamp on top, and mail it to your well-deserving mum.