A few weeks ago, I was combing through my favorite local antique shop and came across a bag full of miniature Erlenmeyer flasks. I picked them up thinking I would use them as bud vases around the house. But then, inspiration struck after seeing these wall-mounted bed vases at West Elm and Pottery Barn, and I decided to create a little installation to hang above my couch. I’d been itching for an excuse to use some copper/rose gold spray paint, and figured this would be the perfect opportunity. I love the way these vases turned out, and I can’t wait to see how they look with different flowers as the seasons change.
For this project, you’ll need the following:
• butcher’s twine
• small nails
• a collection of small flasks
• painter’s tape
• two kinds of spray paint
1. Assemble a collection of small flasks in varying sizes (I used 14 of them). Using painter’s tape, tape off the tops of your flasks, leaving whatever you want to be painted exposed.
2. Find a clean area outside and spray paint to your heart’s content. I wanted to use matte and mirrored finishes to play with texture in the same color family, so I sprayed half of my vases with this paint and half with this more glossy one.
3. While the flasks dry, you can start planning where you will hang your vases. I used a piece of masking tape to mark a straight line and measured 1 1/2″ inches between each nail.
4. Now, all that’s left to do is hang the vases! I used unbleached butcher’s twine to hang mine because I liked the natural look of it, but you could really use any type of string or rope you like. Simply cut the twine to twice the length you want and knot it so you have a loop. Then, use a lark’s head knot to slip the twine around the necks of the flasks.
5. Hang the vases from the nails, varying the length for each one so they are nicely staggered. Fill the vases with water and flowers and step back and enjoy!
Many thanks to Clarabelle for helping out with this post.
Sweater: J.Crew // Scarf: Zara // Hat: H&M (old, similar here) // Pants: American Apparel // Boots: Nine West (similar) // Purse: Rebecca Minkoff // Watch: Michael Kors // Bracelets: Kate Spade and Old Navy (old) // Lipstick: NARS in Terre De Feu // Nails: Essie in Penny Talk
As I type this, it’s 12 degrees outside and I’m curled up on my couch with a warm blanket and a cuddly dog. I’ve decided that my plan for staying warm this winter is layering, layering, layering, so I’m hoarding blanket scarves like a squirrel hoards acorns. So far, I have a pretty decent collection of cozy Zara selections, and I’ve got a few more on my Christmas list.
But with all this layering, one begins to feel a bit like a marshmallow, so it’s nice to add a few sparkly pieces on top. I’m so in love with this Michael Kors watch that my mom gave me for my birthday, and I’ve also been wearing this new studded crossbody bag just about every day. It’s the perfect size for running errands, and it adds a touch of glam to even the comfiest of outfits. Finally, this rose gold nail polish hasn’t left my fingertips since I got it last month; it’s the perfect combination of warm and metallic.